Today the BBC issues a stark warning about the dangers of button batteries, with coverage on BBC Breakfast, the BBC website and the 6 O’Clock News.
What’s the problem?
If a button battery, particularly a lithium coin battery, gets stuck in a child’s throat or gullet, the battery’s energy makes the body create caustic soda (the chemical used to unblock drains).
This can burn a hole through the throat and lead to serious internal bleeding and death.
Lithium coin batteries are the most dangerous as the higher voltage means more energy is released, creating more caustic soda. The reaction can happen in as little as two hours.
Button batteries are found in many products that can appeal to young children, including remote controls, nightlights and novelty cards.
How you can help
- Read more about the dangers here and then pass on our advice to parents and carers.
- Share safety advice with all your contacts and networks.
- Display this CAPT poster and give out this flyer. The CAPT button battery safety pack contains 1 poster and 100 flyers and costs just £19.95 including P&P.
- See the CAPT’s tips on Facebook and share posts with people who like your Facebook page.
Please help the CAPT get the word out as widely as possible.