According to Healthwatch England, people have told them they want to feel listened to and involved in decisions about their social care.
It says: “With more than a quarter of a million people living in care homes and 673,000 adults relying on social care support to live independently, it’s vital that people are able to get the best out of social care.
“The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) has developed guidance to help make you and social care professionals understand what care people can expect and how to support you to make decisions about your own care.”
Healthwatch England list six things you should expect from care services, according to NICE guidelines.
- You should be able to live your life with dignity and independence.
- Your care should be planned flexibly around what you want and need.
- You should understand what types of care are available, and the minimum care you can expect to have.
- You should have control over how your care is provided and paid for.
- The staff providing care should develop good relationships with you.
- Providers of social care should ask you and your family for your views, and use these to train staff and improve services.
Healthwatch Sefton always welcomes feedback from people in Sefton. If you have an experience of social care then you can submit your feedback via our website using this link.