Sefton CVS’s Merseyside Offender Mentoring project provides one to one support to newly released offenders through volunteer befriending.
Tackling the barriers to Effective Resettlement and promoting Social Inclusion.
The Merseyside Offender Mentoring Project is part-funded by the European Social Fund.
The project supports offenders with identified issues and guides them in a positive way with an overall aim to instigate positive change and reduce the likelihood of re-offending.
Merseyside Offender Mentoring project would like to thank the following funders and partners for their ongoing support to the project:
The Merseyside Offender Mentoring project was awarded the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service in June 2015:
The Merseyside Offender Mentoring Project provides mentoring and befriending support to offenders from HMP Liverpool, before and after release, with the aim of helping them to resettle positively back into the community.
A comprehensive service is provided to help offenders overcome any barriers they face, with the objective of reducing reoffending rates significantly, and thus the consequent impact on the wider community.
The project works in close partnership with HMP Liverpool, and has recently extended its services to HMP Kirkham and HMP Styal, and has also begun discussions with HMP Haverigg.
Key activities during 2017/18 included:
HMP Liverpool and HMP Kirkham Mentoring Projects
- Engaging with 1,725 offenders across the two sites, with 523 wishing to access
mentoring support. 68 of these wereSefton residents.
- Successfully matching 201 ex-offenders with a volunteer mentor, of whom 59 per cent
had previous convictions.
- Recruiting and training 69 volunteer mentors, of whom 23 per cent were ex-offenders.
- Staff engaging with HMP Liverpool’s Key Worker Scheme and Steps to the Gate courses.
- 78 multi-agency meetings were also attended.
HMP Risley Mentoring Project
- Interviewing 470 offenders, of whom 147 went on to engage with the project.
- Recruiting and training 22 volunteer mentors.
Documents & Downloads
Merseyside Offender Mentoring Team
Phone: 0151 920 0726 ext 229