Volunteer Centre Sefton and Sefton 4 Good have teamed up to produce a brand new Volunteering & Fundraising Toolkit for Schools & Young People – packed with information about local volunteer opportunities and creative ideas for fundraising events and activities!
A major new scheme to recognise Sefton residents who make a difference to life in their local communities has honoured its first recipients.
Citizens 4 Good has been launched as a joint initiative by Sefton CVS and the Mayor of Sefton’s office, and current Mayor of Sefton Cllr Dave Robinson was the VIP guest at this week’s inaugural presentation ceremony at Bootle Town Hall.
Citizens 4 Good aims to pay tribute to local people whose kindness, support and good deeds improve the lives of their fellow borough residents.
Nominations can be made by anyone who thinks a particular person deserves to be recognised, including friends, neighbours, work colleagues, schools, community organisations and local Councillors.
The 14 residents honoured at the Town Hall event ranged from a man who continues to volunteer for a local charity at the age of 92, to a woman who has helped to establish one of the Southport foodbanks.
Councillor Robinson said he was delighted to attend the event and to hear the man examples of the excellent work that people are doing in their local communities.
He commented: “So much good takes place in Sefton and we want Citizens 4 Good to shine a spotlight on those people making a difference to life in their area.”
Mike Howlett, Sefton CVS Volunteer and Citizenship Lead, said: “Everyone who has been recognised here tonight has made a really positive impact on their local community, and inspired someone enough to nominate them.
“We’re really delighted at the encouraging response to the inaugural call for nominations, and now plan to make the scheme a regular event,” he added.
The full list of recipients is:
* John Simpson who retired recently after leading the 58th Southport Cubs for more than 40 years.
* Julie Woods who helped to establish the foodbank at the Shoreline Church in Southport.
* Pastor Peter Cunningham who founded the Green Pastures social enterprise in Southport to help the homeless.
* Sara Lace who organises Christmas Day meals for older people at Southport Fire Station.
* Anne Long from Formby for her tireless work as an ambassador for several cancer charities.
* Frankie Meadows who has been the driving force behind Crosby Stuart Junior Football Club for more than 25 years.
* Gillian Cuthbertson from Crosby for helping to establish the Veterans in Sefton armed forces charity.
* Jan Mullin for helping to establish Crosby Parkrun, a weekly 5K run along Crosby beach.
* The late Neville Hymus for his work as a volunteer in Crosby’s community gardens, and creating a World War One memorial garden in Moor Lane.
* George Higgins who is still volunteering with Bootle-based charity Sefton Opera at the age of 92.
* Nandy Allen who helped to establish the community Art By Me project in Bootle.
* Phil Brown who has helped to tackle litter in Bootle for seven years via the Bootle Action Group.
* Vicky Hanagan who runs the foodbank at Bootle’s Christchurch Youth and Community Centre.
* Rita Addison for helping residents in Maghull and Lydiate by setting up a luncheon club and home library scheme.
For more information about future opportunities to nominate people for Citizens 4 Good recognition ring 0151 920 0726 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to take the hassle out of Christmas? Why not pop in to the Strand By Me shop and take advantage of our new, free present wrapping service!
Drop in with your presents, big or small, and our elves will take care of the rest! You can have a cup of tea and a mince pie while you wait, or simply pop back in when you’re ready to pick your gifts up.
The present wrapping team will be in the shop on:
Thurs 8th December (10am -6.30pm)
Thurs 15th December (10am -6.30pm)
Thurs 22nd December (10am -6.30pm)
This service is completely free, but if you’re really happy with our wrapping we will be accepting donations to local charity Sefton4Good!
Strand By Me is a Community & Health Services shop located at the Strand Shopping Centre, Bootle managed by Sefton CVS in partnership with NHS South Sefton CCG. While at the shop you’ll also be able to find out about other events and services in the borough that you may be interested in.
The Strand Shopping Centre can be found at: 73 The Hexagon, Bootle, Liverpool, L20 4SZ, and “Strand by Me” is located on the Ground Floor of The Strand, opposite “Wilko” store.